I ran a BookBub advert recently and picked up quiet a few new readers. One of whom direct messaged me on Twitter to ask me about my music preferences. I told them I was really boring musically and that I was just as likely to listen to an audiobook while writing as music. But a lot of authors post their music writing playlist. Those that have followed me for a while are aware I am musically boring, but for the newbies… Let me illuminate.
My writing music playlist has 120 songs. Most of them rock and most of them 90s or 2000s. There is a disproportionate amount of Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, and Rob Zombie in it. To make the “Music to Write By” playlist a song has to “move me.” I have nearly 100,000 songs in my music library, but only the songs that truly move me make the special writing playlist. I’m not going to list all 120 songs, but I will share an sample of them.
- Stirb Nicht vor mir Rammstein – I am somewhat fluent in German and I have a soft spot for very dark love songs and duets.
- Brennede Liebe Oomph! – This is another dark (German) love song.
- Love is not Enough Nine Inch Nails
- Judgment Day Stealth
- Return of the Phantom Stranger Rob Zombie
- Angry Johnny Poe
- Diary of a Madman Ozzy Osbourne
- Megalomaniac KMFDM
- Ohne Dich Eisbrecher (no, this is not the wrong band… I think every German band has a song called Ohne Dich and I love Eisbrecher’s)
- Black Jesus Everlast
- Somewhere with You Kenny Chesney (I said most of it was rock)
- Whiskey Lullaby Allison Kraus and Brad Paisley
- The Sound of Silence Disturbed
- Renegades X Ambassadors
- Radioactive Imagine Dragons
- The unforgiven Part 2 Metallica
- Smooth Criminal Michael Jackson
- Kissed by a Rose Seal
- Cinnamon Girl Type O Negative
- Hallelujah Rufus Wainwright
- Ain’t No Sunshine Bill Withers
- Beautiful Day U2
Now, add a bunch more Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Oomph, Eisbrecher, KMFDM, L’Ame Immortelle, Rob Zombie, and some 90s staples like Fine Again by Seether, Outside by Staind, and Chemical Between by Bush and you get the idea of what I listen to while I write. One day, I’ll share the entire playlist.