Prepping for Surgery


I am quite ecstatic that my gallbladder is going the way of the dodo.  But with CRPS, any surgery is a risk.  The cutting of the nerves to get to my gallbladder risks spreading it to those nerves and CRPS doesn’t work like any other disease on the freaking planet, it is a neurological disease, but it can impact areas without nerves, like the liver.

The reason my gallbladder removal was not scheduled faster was because my surgeon wanted time to research ways to prevent the spread of this thing to an area like my liver.  I appreciate that a great deal more than most people realize.  I can’t imagine this thing affecting the nerves  in my abdominal wall over top my liver or spreading to the muscle tissue of my liver, because it doesn’t act like it should and isn’t always confined to nerves.

She wants a particular anesthesiologist because she wants a brachial nerve block as well as ketamine administered for surgery.  She says she has found the key to not spreading CRPS is to not let the nerves realize they have been cut.  That actually makes a lot of sense to me.  But she isn’t the only one doing research.

I had a brachial nerve block on 31 July.  It was very painful and it didn’t work.  I got no relief from it, but at that time we were trying to relieve some of the pain in my hip, not numb an area of my torso.  But what if it doesn’t work this time either?

And there are fun things like what if my insurance doesn’t approve the surgery?  What if it approves the surgery but not the brachial block or the ketamine?  Considering this could potentially lessen some of my daily pain and allow me to eat food again, all of it should be approved, but insurance companies are about profit, not people.  In the long run the surgery might save them some money, but I get the impression they are more about immediate profits not long term.

Also, there is the interesting and extremely disparate “this is what happened after they removed my gallbladder” to consider.  My cousin had hers removed in the early 2000s after it ruptured and she developed sepsis.  As of today, she can eat anything she wants without a problem.  A different friend of mine can’t eat anything that has any spice, even black pepper is too spicy, nor can she eat any raw leafy greens.  She said she hasn’t had a salad in years.  Someone else commenting on it after J’s was removed said they get diarrhea every time they eat.

Now, during my consult, Dr. Peterson told me that about 15% of people continue to have symptoms after having their gallbladder removed, but the other 85% have zero problems.  I am really hoping 2 of these examples are in the 15%.  And that my cousin and hopefully me are in the 85%.  If my father and sister didn’t have other issues (pancreatitis, Crohn’s Disease, etc) I think they would have had better results with their gallbladder removal.

As I typed this, Dr. Peterson’s office called me to let me know that insurance had approved Ketamine and the Brachial block and that Dr. Peterson had secured the anesthesiologist that she wanted for my surgery.  Which caused me to shed a few more tears.  I seriously want the tiny organ gone, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have reservations or wasn’t at least a little afraid of having surgery.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s